The Saint Nicholas Chapel

This was the first Chapel to be added to the Cathedral and was built in 1910. It is dedicated to St Nicholas who was the Patron Saint of Sailors and three scenes from the life of this much loved saint are depicted in the triptych behind the altar, painted by the Newcastle artist, John Montefiore. The altar is made of Australian Rosewood and is entirely Australian in design. It is decorated with a floriated cross of waratahs, with native pears, native palms and trails of flannel flowers. The altar and the nearby wrought iron screen were designed by Walter Burkitt who designed much of the furniture in the Cathedral. The screen is decorated with sea shells, anchors and at the top, rolling waves.