Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle Foundation Ltd
Conditions of the choral scholarship
The scholarship recipient will receive:
- the scholarship amount, paid in quarterly instalments
- opportunities to develop aural awareness, sight-singing and general musicianship as a member of the Cathedral Choir
- practical experience in working as a member of a highly trained musical ensemble
- opportunities to develop leadership skills by assisting with the Youth Chorale and St Nicholas Choir
- opportunities to develop a repertoire within the Cathedral Choir and smaller ensemble work
- opportunities to perform in concerts and tours with the Cathedral Choir
- adhoc opportunities for development of personal music abilities
- adhoc opportunities for the development of personal administrative skills
A choir scholarship recipient will be expected to:
- assist the Choir Master in musical duties as required
- assist the Choir Master in administrative functions as required
- The Choral Scholarship will be advertised to the public in relevant publications, digital media and social media.
- The Choral Scholarship will be for the period of one academic year.
- The Choral Scholarship may be extended, for suitable candidates, at the sole discretion of the Christ Church Newcastle Foundation.
- Applicants will audition for and be interviewed by the Audition Panel.
- The Audition Panel will comprise the Cathedral Organist, the Cathedral Choir Master and the Dean of the Cathedral.
- Applicants will be assessed on ability, aptitude and attitude.
- Applicants must complete an Application Form.
- Applicants will be interviewed by and audition for the Audition Panel.
- Applicants must make themselves available for the dates of the auditions.
- The scholarship auditions will be held at the Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle.
- Scholarships will be paid in quarterly instalments.
- Scholarships may be suspended if the scholarship recipient does not fulfil the duties outlined above.
- The scholarships are open to the public.
- Applicants must have an appropriate music qualification and be studying at a secondary or tertiary institution.
- Late applications will not be processed.
- In cases where applicants do not meet the standard required, the scholarship will not be offered.
- The decision of the scholarship panel is final.
- Only the candidate will be allowed in the audition room.
- Should the candidate arrive late they will forfeit the audition.
- The audition panel reserves the right to ask a candidates music teacher to provide a reference for the applicant.
- Staff and family of staff members of the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle are eligible to enter.
- Successful applicants will be informed in writing.
- Successful applicants must give priority at all times to attendance and punctuality at scheduled lessons and notify the teacher where attendance is genuinely impossible.
- The Christ Church Newcastle Foundation reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship at any time should these scholarship rules and conditions not be met.