Tour the Cathedral

Tour the Cathedral

------------------------

Tour the cathedral using this interactive floor plan.

-------------------------

Baptistry

The font is made of alabaster. The design of the carved oak canopy was influenced by the famous lantern tower of Ely Cathedral in England.

The Paschal or Easter Candle stands in the baptistry. It is blessed on Easter Eve and lit during Eastertide and when Holy Baptism is performed.

more info

Foundation stone

The foundation stone of the first church on this site, laid by the Commandant Captain James Wallis in 1817.

From here, looking west above the great western doors, view the rose window, installed in 1928 and restored in May 1989.

Saint Nicholas Chapel

This chapel is dedicated to the patron saint of sailors. The triptych behind the altar is the work of John Montefiore. It depicts scenes from the life of St Nicholas.

The war memorial panels on the north wall of the St Nicholas Chapel commemorate those who died in the Second World War and the Vietnam War. They were painted by Reinis Zusters.

More info

Dies Domini window

(Day of the Lord). This round window is the work of two of England's most prominent nineteenth century artists. It was designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and the glass was made by William Morris. The design and colour are typical of the pre-Raphaelite school. It depicts the youthful Christ coming in judgement carried on the wings of angels.

Birdwood Flag

The Birdwood Flag is an Australian red ensign originally created in 1916 and presented to General Birdwood in Europe in 1917. Following the war it was returned to Newcastle and presented to Christ Church Cathedral in 1922. For many years it hung in the Warriors' Chapel. It decayed and slowly disintegrated. A collection of fragments was discovered in 2013 and a restoration project was begum. The flag was returned to the Cathedral in 2017.

ABC News item

Pulpit

The pulpit is made of cedar. The carved figures are: Isiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Our Lord, Saint John the  baptist, Saint Peter and Saint Paul.

The terracotta crucifix above the pulpit was sculpted by local artist Krysten Walker.

North ambulatory

The north ambulatory leads to the Saint Michael Chapel. Of particular note are the marble floor and timber ceiling.

Saint Michael Chapel

(or The Warriors' Chapel). Look up and see the angel corbels. Look down and see the Australian marble floor. Look forward and see the Tinworth panels behind the altar. Look back and see the Warrior, the wooden cross from France, the Toc H shrine, the Forster lamp, and the stone from Canterbury Cathedral.

More info

Tyrrell Chapel

(or Chapel of Our Lady) is also known as the Bishops' chapel because of its windows depicting distinguished Australian and English clergy.  The Eucharist is celebrated here on the anniversary of the deaths of Bishops of Newcastle. Here you can also see the 1892 Foundation stone under glass.

South ambulatory

The south ambulatory houses treasures including the Book of Gold containing the names of the fallen and the gold chalice and paten - made by William Mark from the wedding rings of widows of the First World War.

Sanctuary

The alabaster reredos behind the high altar depicts Da Vinci's 'Last Supper'. The sedilia on the right are seats for the priests during the Eucharist. The standard candlesticks are two of six formerly in the Basilica of Pisa. They were crafted by Annibale Fontana in the late sixteenth century. From here looking back down through the chancel and nave is a wonderful view of the rose window in the western wall.

More info

The Chancel

In the chancel you can see the stalls for the Dean, the canons and the choristers. The angels' gallery is above on the right and on the left is the cathedral organ.

More info

Cathedra

To the right of the chancel is the Bishop's throne or cathedra. The carved oak chair has an ornate canopy and is the Bishop's seat in the cathedral.

Saint Christopher Chapel

The children's chapel is a memorial to Bishop George Merrick Long who was Bishop of Newcastle from 1928-1930. The wood in the Chapel is Queensland silky oak and was carved locally. The reredos depicts stories from the life of St Christopher, patron saint of travellers. It was painted by English artist Daphne Allen.

Gallipoli flag

The Gallipoli Flag was taken by the  Newcastle Regiment and placed at Gallipoli on landing and remained until the evacuation. It was restored in 2001. It is the last known flag from Gallipoli in existence.

Earthquake restoration

A view of the stainless steel rods which were inserted in the walls of the cathedral when it was repaired and restored following the 1989 Newcastle earthquake.

More info

Tapestry of the ten virgins

Near the south-west porch entrance is a tapestry which depicts the ten virgins. It was made by Mary Beeston.

South-west porch entrance

The south-west porch entrance doors and screen were given in memory of Mr F G Castleden, cathedral architect 1909 to 1944. Above the doors is the painting of Christ the King by Bruce Rowland from a concept by Alan Oldfield.

The Nave

The banners on each side of the nave (and at the High Altar) show angels and saints. They were designed and made by Newcastle artist Rae Richards in 1977.

Nave Altar

The Nave Altar is situated in the centre of the crossing. This position brings the Eucharist closer to the people. The liturgical platform can be raised or lowered as needed for church services or artistic performances.